Badian real is an evergreen shrub that belongs to the Limonnikov family. The plant is also called illicium or star anise. It is used mainly in cooking, but due to its healing properties, it has gained popularity in aromatherapy, traditional medicine and cosmetology.
How star anise looks and grows
Illicium is native to southeast China and Japan. Gradually, it became known in other countries, but it is mainly grown in Jamaica and the Philippines, as well as in:
Star anise appeared in Russia after the 16th century, and trees began to be actively grown in the south of the country. Outwardly, they are small, up to 18 m high, with a straight trunk and white bark. The leaves are oval, dark green, up to 15 cm long.
The flowers look like large stars, and their hues range from pale pink to bright red. Small chocolate-colored seeds are hidden inside. Spice in the form of an asterisk contains 6-10 seeds 1.5 cm long.
They are used in cooking. The fruits are dried whole or sold ground. Some types of plants are poisonous, their seeds accumulate a large concentration of toxins, so they are not used for cooking, drinking or medicine. In cooking and folk medicine, they mainly use star anise, which is not dangerous to humans and brings great benefits.
Star anise: useful properties
Star anise is mainly used to season food and drinks. Attracts gourmets with a sharp, bittersweet, astringent taste. In terms of aroma, star anise resembles ordinary anise, but differs in a more refined, spicy and complex smell, which is why it is also used to create perfumes.
The plant has a lot of vitamins A, B, PP and C, mineral salts, polysaccharides. The spice contains essential oil, all major macro- and microminerals, terpenes, tannins, resins, tannins, malic and shikimic acids.
|Nutritional value per 100 seeds|
|337 kcal||50 g||17.6 g||15.9 g||14.6 g|
Star anise (another name is illicium) helps to reduce excess weight. But only thanks to the use of star anise, you will not be able to lose weight. Tea is brewed with it, which is drunk 30 minutes before meals. This allows you to reduce the amount of food for satiety, and the feeling of satiety lasts longer. As a result, the digestive system is not overloaded, metabolism is accelerated and a person loses extra pounds in a natural way, without stress for the body.
In ancient times, star anise was used to color wood, used as a strong amulet against evil forces, in Japan this plant is called sacred. Asterisks are used in the villages as candles – they are able to burn for a long time without burning out completely.
The properties of star anise are widely used in cooking. In India, it is an essential component of masala chai; in South America, it is part of a variety of sauces. In China, star anise is used to freshen breath by chewing the seeds of the plant. All over the world, spice is added to the first and second courses, vegetable salads.
|The most common drinks|
|medicinal tea||In a blender, the dried fruits of the star anise plant are crushed. Pour boiling water over them and insist in a thermos for 20 minutes. Strain and add 2 tbsp. l. in tea or coffee. It’s great for coughs.|
|Oriental tea with spices||Take 2 tsp. large-leaf tea leaves, pour 500 ml of boiling water over it. While it is infused for 5 minutes, spices are ground – star anise spice, 3 cardamom seeds and cloves buds each.Add them to tea and simmer over low heat, not bringing to a boil. Add ½ tbsp. l. milk. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, lower the cinnamon stick, and after 10 minutes – 3 tbsp. l. honey. The drink strengthens the immune system, quickly warms in the cold.|
|tea for colds||0.4 l of boiling water is poured into 5 rose hips, 4 g of chopped ginger root and star anise. Insist in a thermos for 3-4 hours. Filter and drink 100 ml, three times a day.|
Star anise can be added to soups, rice, meat and vegetables, any side dishes, but it is not suitable for fish. The spice harmonizes well with cardamom, ginger root, cinnamon, garlic. If the stars need to be crushed, this is done before the spice needs to be added to the dish, in baking – during the dough kneading.
In order for stuffed chicken or meat to acquire a delicate spicy aroma and flavor, you can put a couple of anise seeds in them before baking. An asterisk is thrown into sweet drinks and jam 10 minutes before readiness and then allowed to brew for another 15 minutes. But the spice is not afraid of heat treatment, so it can be flavored with food even at the beginning of cooking.
It enhances the taste of onions, sweet bell peppers. Even more is revealed with sunflower oil and sugar. Pairs well with rice. Star anise has other useful properties – it thins and removes sputum, stops inflammation, improves the functioning of the respiratory system, digestion and gastrointestinal tract. Prevents indigestion and colic.
Health benefits of star anise:
- eliminates spasms and flatulence;
- relieves inflammation;
- helps eliminate hoarseness of voice;
- has a diuretic property;
- normalizes stool;
- calms the heartbeat;
- increases potency;
- enhances lactation;
- relieves headache;
- improves metabolism;
- stimulates appetite;
- enhances the secretion of bile;
- freshens breath;
- stimulates the production of collagen;
- prevents the formation of cholesterol plaques;
- increases resistance to infections;
- improves mood;
- reduces the synthesis of estrogens;
- helps in the treatment of pathologies of the bladder and kidneys, which were provoked by a bacterial infection;
- lowers blood sugar levels;
- helps in the treatment of dermatological diseases;
- stops bleeding;
- destroys worms and their larvae.
Women are advised to drink tea or tincture with star anise during painful periods or during menopause. Drinks reduce the severity of symptoms, stabilize the hormonal background. Star anise helps to restore the normal menstrual cycle, and for men it is useful for the treatment of impotence.
What is star anise used for?
Star anise Attar essential oil can be used to scent a room. For this, it is used in diffusers. It helps to cope with anxiety, brings peace, restores sleep. You can apply 2-3 drops to the medallion and wear it daily, which will help keep your good mood throughout the day.
Useful properties of star anise have learned to apply in antiquity – it was used as a remedy for snake bites. In folk medicine, there are other recipes:
- For the treatment of diseases of the liver and gastrointestinal tract, one teaspoon is poured into a thermos with 350 ml of boiling water and insisted for an hour. Filter and drink 80 ml, 3 times a day.
- With bronchitis, sore throat, a tincture is prepared from 10 g of ground seeds and 100 ml of alcohol. The bottle is well closed with a lid and infused in a dark place for 20 days, shaking at intervals of 3 days. Tincture is taken 5 ml, 3 times a day, before meals. The course of treatment is up to two weeks.
- For the treatment of colds and coughs, an infusion of 1 tsp is prepared. ground star anise seasoning and 70 ml of boiling water. The remedy is insisted for 15 minutes, filtered, put 1-2 tbsp. l. honey. The finished mass is divided into 3-4 servings, which are added to hot tea.
- For diseases of the throat and oral cavity, take 1 tsp. crushed star anise, pour 250 ml of boiling water over them and leave for 40 minutes, filter. Then 20 ml of lemon juice and 25 g of natural honey are added to the drink. Means you need to rinse your mouth in the mornings and evenings, the course of treatment is a week.
- The plant helps to cope with worms, pinworms. To do this, insist in a thermos 1 tbsp. l. ground star anise, filling it with a glass of boiling water. When the drink has completely cooled down, it is drunk in two doses, before meals. The course of treatment is 2 weeks.
- To eliminate fever, cramps and pain in the abdomen, as a fight against worms, a decoction is prepared at the rate of 10 g of star anise per 100 ml of water.
Badian stellate is part of the breast fees. It is added to a mixture of herbs for coughs and colds. Infusions and decoctions are used to treat certain male diseases of the genitourinary system, they perfectly increase sexual activity.
Star anise seeds in cosmetology
A concentrated essential oil is prepared from star anise seeds. For the manufacture of 1 liter, 18 kg of fruit are needed. In cosmetology, star anise is used in various forms – whole flowers, in crushed or ground form:
- sweet star anise stars have an antiseptic, antifungal and anti-inflammatory effect;
- ground illicium can be added to masks, creams, and other cosmetic formulations;
- whole star anise stars are used for tonics, infusions and decoctions.
To eliminate the fungus and sweating of the legs, in the presence of rashes or boils, an alcohol tincture with star anise is prepared. Take 10 g of crushed star with seeds, pour 100 ml of vodka. Close the container tightly with a lid and insist 21 days. Then you can store the product in a regular glass jar. A liquid containing star anise is added to baths for the body and legs. Star anise is also used for:
- increase the firmness and elasticity of the skin;
- lightening age spots;
- elimination of cellulite;
- smoothing the relief of the skin;
- fight acne, rashes, irritation (and their prevention);
- skin recovery after burns.
But basically, star anise essential oil is used for this . The correct dosages have a number of recommendations:
- it is added to massage products in 20 ml per tube or 2 drops / 10 g of cream or gel;
- for baths – 2-3 drops / 150 l of water;
- in creams and masks – 3 drops / 30 ml of the composition;
- for therapeutic emulsions – 4-5 drops / 35 ml of the composition.
For the treatment and restoration of hair, an infusion or decoction of star anise is used, raw materials can be bought online . This procedure helps to strengthen the curls, removes excessive fat, restores the bulbs and the sebaceous glands, prevents the appearance of dandruff and eliminates it.
Contraindications to the use of star anise
Improper use of star anise can harm the body. With excessive use of seasoning, this can provoke nausea, vomiting, redness and rash on the skin, in severe cases – pulmonary edema. To avoid this, it is recommended to adhere to the following dosages, for:
- cooking use ¼ tsp. spices per 1 kg of products;
- one star is enough for hot tea;
- cold drinks add the seeds of one flower to 2 liters of liquid.
The combination of star anise with lingonberry leaf enhances the diuretic effect. This combination can disrupt the water-salt balance and cause dehydration. There are also contraindications for adding star anise to food and drinks:
- spice allergy or individual intolerance;
- increased nervousness;
- children’s age up to three years.
Star anise is not recommended to be added to drinks in large quantities before bedtime – this causes increased emotional excitability. A natural essential oil is obtained from star anise, which cannot be applied to the skin in its pure form – this can cause a burn.
How to replace star anise
In the absence of star anise, it can be replaced with ordinary anise. But he will not be able to provide the desired flavor to pastries or dishes. Only star anise has the ability to open when products are heated. It tastes like cinnamon and cumin, vegetable dishes can be flavored with fennel or dill.
If star anise replacement is required for cosmetic formulations, anise ester is used as an alternative. In both plants, the main substance is anethole, so they are almost identical in their therapeutic effect.
Star anise is both an aromatic spice and one of the elements in perfumery. Due to the useful and valuable properties of the plant, it is in demand in official and traditional medicine. Its qualities are also beneficial in cosmetology, helping to preserve youth and solve dermatological problems.